Playroom

December is such a tough month for me training-wise. I think I say the same thing every year, but every year I swear it will be different. I always seem to think work will be slow...it hasn't been slow since my first couple years when I didn't have any responsibilities, but somehow I keep thinking I'll be more on top of things and not scrambling at the end of the year. I guess I'll try again next year. Thankfully this year we did get the normal December freeze out of the way in November, but the weather has still been all over the place, days are shorter, motivation waning and the pile of household chores that stacked up over the summer has grown exponentially.

Overall I'd say this week was fairly productive. My field crew in Alaska managed to stay safe and relatively warm, I got in a few good runs, Christmas gifts are wrapped, I have my Christmas cards (definitely not sent or even stamped), and Dan and I on a whim managed to create a new playroom for James.

Monday I met Allisa for a good run at Apex. Apparently her December Mondays are not easy conversational runs, but it was a good reminder I need to start thinking about pushing it a bit more and not slacking on every run. Dan and I were able to get in a few runs together which was really nice and a bit unusual for the winter. Its always good for us to get out together during the week for a date run or two.

Heading into the weekend I was all prepared to log some good miles, until we had the brilliant idea of making James a playroom! He has been acquiring some rather large toys, yes we gave him an indoor slide, rock wall, tunnel thing for Christmas...or rather he got that one early because Dan couldn't wait. So our only option for housing all these new toys was obviously a new room. Saturday I got in a quick run before picking up the paint and starting in on this new endeavor. We managed to get the whole room painted, cleaned and organized on Sunday, but at the expense of runs. Oh well, at least now on snow days we have somewhere for James to release some energy! I think that was well worth the day off! I know I will be thanking myself later.

I definitely need to do something to get myself motivated. The Leadville lottery isn't until mid-January and I need something before then. I know come January it will seem like it's not as dark anymore and in general my motivation will pick up. Maybe it's time to write a new training plan. I just need something to kick myself into gear.

I was also pretty bummed this week when I learned that James' private speech therapist was going back to work in the schools. She's hoping to start seeing a few kiddos down the road so it could be awhile. Meanwhile after fighting the insurance company to get weekly speech I now need to find a new therapist quickly so we can get back to weekly therapy in January. It could be a few months before we have a new therapist at Children's and I'm hoping to find someone a bit closer anyways.

Week December 8 - 14

Miles Running: 35.3
Hours Hiking and Running: 5.5

Comments

Popular Posts