100 Miler Hangover

Bear Chase 50k
I love the weeks after a 100! After Run Rabbit I took the longest non-running stretch I've taken in years, mostly due to a hectic schedule of James appointments and work meetings. But after 4 days of not running I couldn't do anything until I got in a run, no matter how slow or painful it was I had to get back on the trail. I'm not one to go to the gym or cross-train. My cross-training is...well...running. It may not be the greatest plan out there or what would be recommended, but that's me so I stick with it. I've had many people tell me you need to take at least a full week off of running.I feel like you should start running when you head and heart are ready for it. 


At the end of a season or after a big race I do what I call zen running. No watch, no plan, no prescribed mileage. Purely running by feel. Combine this with fall running and I'm in heaven! Hands down my favorite time to run is the fall. The ground feels a little softer, the cooler temps let you run a bit faster and the changing leaves just seem to propel me down the trail with a perma-grin plastered on my face. I really think this is what keeps me from burning out. I think so many people focus everything on this one big race or event and when that's over there's a huge void there. 
Bear Chase 50k finish

Of course this could also be my downfall...taking enough time off from running after a big race has always been a problem for me. I guess we'll just have to see how that pans out over time. For now I'm going to run when I feel like it and take the day off when I'm just not feeling it. I've been having some fun runs lately. Taking the boys out, meeting friends, meeting Dan for a lunch run, just mixing it up and really having fun!



Week September 15 - 21

Miles Running: 24.5
Hours Hiking and Running: 5

Week September 22 - 28

Miles Running: 40.5
Hours Hiking and Running: 7.5

Comments

Popular Posts