Run Rabbit Run Race Strategy

Run Rabbit Run is now just over 2 days away so its probably time I lay out a game plan as to how I'm going to get through these 103 miles! This year my goal is to push myself a bit more. Last year at Leadville my goal was finish, plain and simple just finish. But now I feel ready to push a little more and have a more ambitious time goal. Plus there's that sub-30hr gold buckle twinkling in the distance at me! With a plan of running a bit faster and trying to run more later in the race it's important to have a good strategy so I can adapt when things go wrong and be prepared for whatever may come my way.

splits (time of day expected):
A Goal Time: sub-27:00hr
B Goal Time: sub-30:00hr
  • Mt Werner (4.4) 9:30am
  • Long Lake (10.8) 11:20am
  • Fish Creek Falls (16.5) 12:45pm
  • Olympian Hall (20.5) 1:37pm
  • Cow Creek (29.1) 4:00 pm
  • Olympian Hall (41.3) 7:14pm
  • Fish Creek Falls (45.3) 8:30pm
  • Long Lake (51.4) 10:00pm
  • Summit Lake (56.9) 12:15am
  • Dry Lake (64.5) 1:30am
  • Spring Creek Ponds (69) 2:20am
  • Dry Lake (73.5) 3:50am
  • Summit Lake (81.1) 5:15am
  • Long Lake (89.7) 7:30am
  • Mt Werner (96.1) 9:30am
  • Finish (102.9) 10:59am

gear:
  • Shoes: Pearl Izumi M2 
  • Socks: Drymax, I don't like to wear socks, but for long races they're a must and these are the only socks I race in
  • Watch: Garmin 310XT
  • Hydration: Ultimate Direction Ultra Vesta
  • Headlamp: Petzl
  • Headwear: UV half Buff, I don't leave home without it!
  • Gloves: Pearl Izumi gloves, Craft glove/mittens
  • Food: EFS vanilla gel and Hammer Heed added to water and of course Coke
  • Poles: Black Diamond Z pole 100cm

aid stations:
  • Long Lake: I don't plan to see any crew here. Basically this will just be reload on fuel and go. 
  • Fish Creek FallsI don't plan to see any crew here. Basically this will just be reload on fuel and go. 
  • Olympian Hall: This is the first place I'll see crew. But it should be a quick turnaround. Just refuel, resunscreen, kiss the boy and get going.
  • Cow Creek: No crew here. Just refuel, grab a handheld for extra fluid on this stretch and get moving.
  • Olympian Hall: This is where I pick up Katie and grab night for night running. I'll pick up my headlamp, poles, bladder, long sleeves, capris, possibly my shell, full Buff and gloves.
  • Fish Creek FallsI don't plan to see any crew here. Basically this will just be reload on fuel and go. 
  • Long Lake: Another quick stop to refuel. I'll have an old pair of tights and extra long sleeve here in case it really gets cold.
  • Summit Lake: Just refuel.
  • Spring Creek Ponds: This is where I'll switch pacers. I'll also have the majority of my really warm gear here in case I need it. Battery change in the headlamp and refuel.
  • Summit Lake: This needs to be a quick stop. Just refuel and go. I'll have backup warm clothes just in case though.
  • Long Lake: As the sun comes up it should start getting warm again so I'll likely switch back to shorts and sunscreen up here. I'll also drop my poles and refuel.
  • FINISH: Alls I want here is a can of Dales! Well that and Sandra has me dreaming of margaritas and mexican food now so that is probably going to carry me for at least the last 20 miles.
pacers/crew (the most important part):
  • Katie will be taking me from Olympian (41) to Spring Creek Ponds (69). After her adventure race win last weekend I know she knows what it takes to keep pushing. Dan will be grinding it out with me from Spring Creek Ponds to the finish. It's a grueling climb and I can't imagine anyone else I'd rather have with me on that climb. Hopefully I'll be saying that same thing at the end.
  • My parents will also be here for the crucial role of babysitter! Definitely an important part in racing these days!
While this section is short it is crucial to our race. Without this amazing group of people who are willing to give up their weekend and sleep I wouldn't be able to do this sort of race. So in advance, thank you all for your hardwork and dedication! There may not be buckles at the end of the day for you but I promise you all loads Dales!

music playlist:
Anyone who knows me knows I don't listen to music while I run, unless I'm on a treadmill. But I will have an iPod ready to go if I need a pick me up during the climbs.
  • Hard Sun - Eddie Vedder
  • Blue Sky - Allman Brothers
  • Airplanes - B.o.B.
  • Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills and Nash
  • Shake It Out - Florence and The Machine
  • Never Let Me Go - Florence and The Machine
  • Dog Days Are Over - Florence and The Machine
  • Hey World - Michael Franti and Spearhead
  • Hey Hey Hey - Michael Franti and Spearhead
  • Ghosts That We Knew - Mumford and Sons
  • Lover Of The Light  - Mumford and Sons
  • Hopeless Wanderer - Mumford and Sons
  • Good Life - OneRepublic
  • I Am Mine - Pearl Jam
  • Glad You Came - The Wanted
  • Butterfly - Crazy Town
  • Start Line - Nathan Barr
  • Never Give Up - Peter Bayne
  • Green Spandex - Xavier Rudd
  • Follow Me There - Third Day
  • Send Me On My Way - Rusted Root
  • 11:59 - Michael Franti and Spearhead

tracking:
My amazing crew will be posting to Twitter so you can follow along by following @321_Miles or #321milechallenge

or follow at www.ultralive.net/rrr100/

Week August 25-31

Miles Running: 34.5
Hours Hiking and Running: 6.5

Week September 1 - 7

Miles Running: 28
Hours Hiking and running: 5.5

Comments

  1. I'm pretty sure I met you and your husband during the pre-race briefing at Leadville this year-- I was sitting on the floor next to you. Glad to see he finished! Best of luck at RRR this weekend! I'm very impressed that two parents can both run 100s in the same year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yep, that was us at the pre-race meeting. Congrats to you on a both Bighorn and LT this summer, quite an accomplishment to get it done at both races!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts