"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off" - florence and the machine

The past couple days have been exactly what I've needed after the past few months of breaking trail in deep snow, icy trails and bitter cold wind. We finally had a couple of those spring days worthy of shorts and t-shirts and muddy trails! What an amazing feeling to finally feel dirt beneath your feet!

The past month has not been my best training. I haven't had the most motivation and my energy levels have been quite low. Increasing my iron intake has helped with my energy levels, although I'm now feeling the effects of an extra 16 pounds on my body. While I know my running will improve this summer its still been a hard adjustment.

Dan and I traveled to Seattle a couple weekends ago to visit his family. We managed to get in a good run at Cougar Mountain, a favorite place of his from growing up and quickly becoming a favorite place for us to run. That was my first run on a dirt trail since mid-December; it was wonderful! We felt like we could run forever! Then a week in Anchorage and Fairbanks, with deep snow, icy conditions and well below freezing temps forced me back to the treadmill. The past three days have been just what my soul needed to rejuvenate and motivate me! I absolutely love the feeling of mud splashing up your legs with the sun on your face as you climb up some hill! Even with another snow storm rolling in today, the promise of more mud and snow is as exciting as yesterday.

This weekend brings the Run Through Time half marathon, most likely the last run the three of us will do together for a few years. I'm looking forward to racing again, the perfect motivation to get me through the next couple months until we meet lil grommie and to keep me focused on getting to 6th and Harrison!

Comments

Popular Posts